Sandy Point Beach & McCorrie Point
SANDY POINT BEACH
This shallow, natural beach is located on the Sakonnet River at the end of Sandy Point Avenue and is great for families. Sandy Point Beach is equipped with changing rooms and restroom facilities during the swimming season. The Beach is handicap accessible via a walkway. Handicapped residents are able to utilize this walkway as both an entrance and exit from the beach.
Dogs are not allowed on the beach (see ordinance below).
- Resident Beach Pass parking only:
- Transfer Station Sticker holders do not require a beach sticker.
- Stickers must be placed on the lower, inside corner of the driver’s side windshield.
- The Beach is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays due to lack of lifeguards.
- When no lifeguards are on duty, visitors should proceed with caution while in the water and swim at their own risk.
- When no lifeguards are on duty, the restrooms are closed.
- Sigourney Road is limited to resident only parking. Parking permits are being distributed to residents on Sigourney Road.
Beach Stickers are available. To obtain a beach sticker, go to the Town Clerk's Office and provide your valid car registration showing your Portsmouth address. To receive a sticker by mail, send a copy of your registration and a self-addressed stamped envelope. If you are:
- Military: please send or bring a copy of your valid lease and your valid car registration
- Second homeowner: please send or bring your current tax bill and valid car registration
- Company car: you will need to present a letter on company letterhead from the President of the company, stating this person solely has use of this car, with a description of the vehicle and VIN and car registration to put license plate number on the sticker and your proof of residency (current tax bill or current lease)
Town Clerk’s Office, 2200 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871 or drop all required information in the Tax Drop Box outside of Town Hall. If you mail, a 1- to 2- week turnaround time is expected on Beach Stickers, so please plan accordingly.
*Limit two (2) stickers per household.
Non-resident entry into Sandy Point Beach - please pay at the entrance:
- $15 Monday - Thursday when lifeguards are on duty
- $20 Friday, Saturday, Sunday when lifeguards are on duty
- $50 for a 4-pack to be used any day when lifeguards are on duty
McCorrie Point is an open space area located at the end of McCorrie Lane. McCorrie Point is an active neighborhood location with expansive water views. There are no facilities, and this is always a "Use at Your Own Risk" area.
- Resident Beach Pass parking only.
- Entry and exit will be directed by one-way signs.
- There are no lifeguards and no facilities at McCorrie Point, so visitors should always proceed with caution while in the water and use this area at their own risk.
- William Street and Annette Drive are limited to resident only parking. Parking permits are being distributed to residents on these roads.
Are Dogs Allowed on the Beach?
Section 101-7 of the Code of the Town of Portsmouth says that dogs, with the exception of service dogs, shall not be allowed on the premises of any store or public eating place in the Town of Portsmouth and shall not be allowed on any Town-operated beach. Any owner shall not allow his dog, with the exception of services dogs, to be upon the premises of any store, public eating place or Town-operated beach.
Portsmouth does, however, have a very nice Dog Park! Please bring your dog there and visit!