Public Works

Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Public Works is to provide a responsive and high quality public service to all Portsmouth residents in the maintenance and improvement of town-owned property and infrastructure through positive interaction, interdepartmental relationships, and cost effective management.

Paving Program
If you have any questions on the Town's paving program, please contact the Public Works Department at 401-683-0362.

Report a Pot Hole or Other Dangerous Road Condition
Call the Public Works Department at 401-683-0362 during the workday and the Portsmouth Police, 401-683-0300, at all other times. If the pot hole or dangerous road condition is on East Main or West Main Road, or other state road, please contact the state barn at 401-683-1070.  If you sustain damage from a pot hole, for a town road call the Finance Department at 401-683-9118 or pot hole damage on a state road, call 401-734-4817.  For non-pot hole damage on a state road, call 401-734-4811.

Snow Plow Damage
If your mailbox was knocked down by a snow plow or your yard was damaged by a snow plow, please contact the Department of Public Works at 401-683-0362 for more information.

Streetlight Out Info
If a streetlight is out or has a problem (i.e., cycling on and off) you can call National Grid directly at 1-800-322-3223 for the fastest response. You will need to choose customer service as if you were calling about your own bill. They will require certain information such as the pole number, the nearest street address to the light, and the problem. If they do not respond, usually within 5 - 10 business days, please call the Town Administrator's office at 401-683-3255 with the same information.